At Hickory Hammock Baptist Church, we adhere to the Bible as the ultimate
basis for all we teach, preach, live and believe concerning our faith. We
adhere to the understanding of basic Bible doctrine as outlined in the Baptist Faith and Message.
In order for you to have a quick glance at the fundamentals of our
Biblical faith, if you are looking for a church home or a place to worship,
We have outlined them below. If you have any questions or concerns with what you see here, feel
free to call the church office and speak with the Pastor or one of our Associate
1. Jesus - We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of the Most
High God. He is God in the Flesh, God with us, The Son of God, God the Son,
King of Kings and Lord of Lords. We believe that personal faith in Jesus
Christ as Lord and Savior is the only way of Biblical salvation and
2. Salvation - We believe that if a person is truly, Biblically
saved, that person is eternally saved and cannot "lose" their salvation.
3. The Bible - We believe that the Bible is the infallible,
inspired, and only true Word of the Living God. We do not hold
that a particular version is the only true version of the Bible.
We encourage our people to use a scholarly version/translation such as
the King James Version, The New King James version, The New American Standard
version or the New International Version. Our Pastor normally preaches and teaches from the New International Version, the New King James Version, or the New American Standard Bible. He will sometimes quote from the King James Version as well.
4. Salvation by Grace - We believe that a person is saved by God's
Grace alone. Salvation is the complete work of God, calling men to
repent of their sin and turn to Jesus Christ as Lord.
5. Baptism - We believe that Baptism is for born again believers
only and that true Biblical baptism is by immersion and is tantamount
to a public profession of one's faith in Jesus Christ as Lord.
6. The Lord's Supper - We do not believe that the Lord's Supper is
for Baptists only or for HHBC members only. We believe that it is distinctly
a celebration of worship for born again, Biblically baptized believers in
Jesus Christ. The Lord's Supper is for "His Church". If you are a born again
believer worshipping with us on a Lord's Supper day, you may feel free to
take the Lord's Supper with us.
7. Worship - Our worship services are reserved at times and
celebrative at times, making for a good Biblical balance. We have a unique
blend of the traditional with the more contemporary praise and worship style
of music. We have no problem with the Biblical worship practices (when
obviously appropriate) of the clapping of hands, raising of hands in praise
and worship, verbal affirmation of Biblical truth (amen, praise the Lord,
etc.) We encourage the use of skilled and gifted musical talent in voice,
instrumental and choral renditions. We incorporate drama, creative
presentations of scriptural truths and principles, etc. Our worship services
are creative, innovative, convicting and uplifting with the sole purpose of
glorifying Jesus and exalting His Holy Word.
8. The Church - We believe that the church is the Biblical "bride"
of Jesus for which he died. We believe that the true church is made up of
born again, baptized believers the world over, but that the Biblical
expression of the church is through the local, autonomous body of called
9. The Return of Jesus Christ - We believe that Jesus Christ will
return physically, literally and bodily with the glorified saints to rule
and reign on the earth for a thousand years. Then, the Lord Jesus will sit
on the Great White Throne of Judgment to finally judge the world, the lost,
Satan and his demons and usher in the "new heaven and new earth."
10. Creation/Evolution - We believe in a literal 6-day creation
account and a relatively young earth and human history. (Around 10,000 years
as opposed to evolution's pseudoscientific 4.5 billion year proposal) We believe that human
beings are created in the image of God as unique, special creations
representing God's crowning glory of all creation. As such, each human life
has dignity, purpose, value and worth and is to be highly treasured. Even
the unborn child. We believe that the pseudoscience of evolution is a lie
and is desperately wicked at its core. We understand and know that there is
not one piece of scientific evidence to support the fallacy of evolution belief. We
believe that evolution is a God-less "statement of faith" and it is
diametrically opposed to the Christian Gospel and Biblical faith, and is a "religion" unto itself.
11. Doctrine of Election - The issue of "Calvinism" has become quite a matter of controversy in many churches. It is not a matter of controversy at HHBC. We believe in the absolute Sovereignty of God, balanced with the responsibility, accountability and choice of man. Some people have a difficult time balancing these two seemingly difficult Bible truths. However, just as the Bible declares that there is one God yet at the same time He exists in three distinct persons, (the Doctrine of the Trinity) and we accept it by faith, without question; so we also believe that God is sovereign and moving all things toward his planned end, yet at the same time, calling men everywhere to make a choice. We do not have a problem reconciling these two important biblical truths any more than we have a problem reconciling the Trinity statements in the Bible.
Our Pastor has written a booklet that goes into great detail on this subject so that there is no misunderstanding where we stand on this controversial doctrinal issue. Click on the Predestination Booklet Page to download a copy of this booklet.
12. Speaking in Tongues - The issue of Tongues is another controversial doctrine among Christian churches today. At HHBC, we believe the Bible, when properly and contextually interpreted on this subject is clear. Acts Chapter 2 is the precedent chapter for the topic of tongues. Therefore, ALL scriptures regarding tongues MUST be interpreted in light of the definition of tongues found in ACTS 2. Here it is clearly laid out that biblical tongues is; the instantaneous, supernatural ability for a born again believer to be able to speak in a known language of the world (not gibberish or babbling or a "prayer language".) This gift is given by the Holy Spirit and is not intended to be given to all believers. The purpose of tongues is to bring glory to Jesus to those who may not otherwise understand the native language being spoken.
There must be an interpreter who will verify that the tongue spoken is a known tongue of the languages of men and the interpreter will also know the interpretation. We believe that the "tongues movement" so prevalent in Christian circles today does not meet these clear, biblical criteria and thus, in order to maintain doctrinal and biblical integrity, would NOT be allowed at HHBC. However, biblical tongues would be allowed.
A tongue would be deemed biblical if it met the criteria previously discussed, found in Acts 2, as well as the criteria of I Corinthians 14 (one or two, three at the most speak in a biblical tongue in an entire worship service. That it be done decently and in order. That there be an interpreter for each instance of the use of a tongue. That the women not speak or interpret in tongues in a public worship service.) I Corinthians 14 is extremely clear on all these points.
13. Freemasonry and Christianity At HHBC we are convinced beyond any doubt that Freemasonry and its suborganizations (Shriners, Eastern Star, Rainbow Girls, Demoly, etc) is not compatible with the true biblical Christian faith in Jesus Christ. Our Pastor has written a booklet on this topic that is very extensive. Click on the Freemasonry Booklet Page to download a copy of this booklet. This topic has received extensive coverage by many scholarly authors who verify the stand that we take at HHBC regarding this issue. You can find these works at any reputable Christian bookstore. We know and understand that Freemasonry denies the absolute deity and sufficiency of Jesus Christ, that it denies the absolute and sovereign authority of the Bible as the ONLY word of the Living God and that it denies that salvation is through Jesus Christ and the Grace of God alone (not of works). These are the 3 essential fundamental doctrines of the true, biblical Christian faith and freemasonry teaching denies them all. Therefore, we do not allow anyone who is a Mason or a part of any of its organizations to hold any place of leadership or teaching at HHBC. A Mason may feel free to worship with us in the sincere hope that they would find real faith in Jesus Christ alone.
14. Women In Church Leadership See our Biblical overview here.
15. HHBC Wedding Policies See our Biblical overview here.